Thursday, January 5, 2012

Favorites of 2011!

Favorites of 2011!

Here is a quick listing of my favorite accessories, shoes, makeup, skin care, nail polish and hair care products that I purchased in 2011.  I've tried to pick items that I've used consistently throughout 2011 and that I thought...
1. Did what they were designed to do
2. Was worth the money I spent
3. Made me happy :)




ACCESSORIES
Nothing completes an outfit quite like a good pair of shoes, handbag or jewelry.  Here are a few of my favorites from 2011.


It was hard for me to narrow down to one favorite handbag so I chose two! 
L-R- Urban Expressions tote (I don't know the style however I picked up mine at a boutique called Persona for $80) and Michael Kors Leopard tote.  Both are eye catching and roomy enough for all the junk I carry around each day!


These boots have been fabulous all year!  They are the Alfani "Bernie" boot.  I picked them up at Macy's but this style now appears to be discontinued.  I really could recommend any black, heeled boot though.  You can dress them up or down.  Alfani makes great boots and I can walk in these all day without my feet hurting.  They look great over a pair of skinny jeans or dressed up with tights and a dress.  Macy's always has great shoe sales and now is the time to buy winter boots!


I LOVE jewelry and scarves but these three items were worn practically every week in 2011 at least once.  I'm still in love with my Swatch watch (FULL-BLOODED - SVCK4032G) which is available for $160.00 at www.store.swatch.com  It's a great oversized watch that I get compliments on each time I wear it.  It's less expensive and less common than Michael Kors watches which makes me love it even more.  My bracelet is the silver bead bracelet by Tiffany & Co.  A lot of people don't realize that Tiffany's sterling silver collections are affordable.  This bracelet can be purchased at www.tiffany.com for $200.  I wear this bracelet almost everyday and it has held up nicely.  My last accessory I couldn't stop wearing in 2011 was my gray scarf.  It's super soft and long which is a rare thing since I hate short scarves!  I picked it up for $9 at World Market.



Makeup

I found some great products this year.  Some I blogged about and others were discovered recently. 



Pictured above are all my favorite beauty products from 2011!



A good face needs color and what better way to get it than bronzer, blush and eyeshadow?  My favorite bronzer is still Laura Geller's Bronze n Brighten.  It goes on smoothly and gives a natural glow.  Bronze n Brighten can be picked up at Ulta for $31. If you want to see a swatch, click here.  My favorite eyeshadow was a tie between Wet n Wild's Dancing in the Clouds palette and Urban Decay's Naked palette.  Both offered unique shades.  I love Dancing in the Clouds because its affordable (costs only $2.99) and provides a unique mix of color.  You can see a swatch and a review I did of this palette and other Wet n Wild palettes here.   I love the Naked palette because of its versatility and quality.  You can find the Naked palette at Ulta for $48 and you can read my review here.  My favorite blush is Lovejoy by NARS.  It has been my go-to color that accents my cheekbones without being too "over the top".  It looks great when applied and is a really nice contour color too.  You can find NARS blushes ($27) and other NARS products at www.sephora.com


Pictured above is my top choices for lipstick, concealer, makeup brush, foundation, nail polish and perfume.  I couldn't choose one lipstick shade so I want to share them both.  I loved MAC's High Tea lipstick and L'oreals Fairest Nude.  Both offered great coverage and a natural finish.  If you want the perfect "my lips but better" look, then these lipsticks are for you!  You can find MAC lipsticks at your local MAC counter for $14.50 each.  L'oreals Fairest Nude is usually priced around $5.99 at your local drugstore, Walmart or Target.

My favorite concealer was one I "rediscovered" this year.  I've enjoyed Maybelline's Super Stay concealer almost everyday.  It works hard and does a good job brightening my undereye area without caking.  You can find Super Stay concealer at your local drugstore for around $7.  My favorite makeup brush this year would no doubt be my Ecotools Bamboo bronzer brush.  It's amazing at applying foundation quickly and evenly.  Just buff into your skin and you are set!  It's soft and doesn't shed.  You can find it at Ulta for $12.59.  My favorite foundation is another drugstore find.  I have gone through many tubes of Rimmel's Lasting Finish 25 hour foundation but I never posted a review about it.  It goes on smoothly, provides full coverage, costs under $8 and stays on ALL DAY LONG.  If you love Estee' Lauder's Double Wear, then you must try this!  You can find this foundation at any drugstore, Walmart, Target or Ulta.

My favorite nail polish this year wasn't very bright or fancy.  I loved OPI's Lucerne-Tainly Look Marvelous and wore it many times in 2011.  It's a charcoal grey with silver shimmer.  It's perfect to wear when going out or even to work.  I found my bottle at Ulta for $8 and you can see my original thoughts and swatches here.

My favorite perfume was discovered late in the year but I've enjoyed it since the day I bought it.  I discovered it during one of my Ulta "spray and sniff" outings.  I love going there and trying out new scents.  When I tried Oh Lola! by Marc Jacobs I thought it was perfect.  I picked up my bottle for $48. 


Top-bottom- My favorite pencil eyeliner is Urban Decay's 24/7 liner in Baked.  My favorite liquid liner is Jordana's Fabuliner in Black (can be purchased at Walgreens for $1.99).  My favorite mascara is Lorac's Multiplex 3D-it really lengthens and separates my lashes.  You can get a tube at Ulta for $22.  My favorite lip gloss is Beige by NYX.  This shade looks great over so many lipstick colors and on any skin tone.  NYX lip gloss costs around $6.  Last but not least is my favorite brow product.  Milani's Easybrow in Natural Taupe is a great buy.  On one end is a great eye pencil that is retractable.  The other end has a "spoolie" brush which is perfect for brushing unruly eyebrows!  It works great!  I picked up my Easybrow at CVS for around $5.



Skincare

The older I get (I turned 30 this year!) the more interested I become in skincare products.  I try each night to adhere to my skincare routine and I always try to go to bed with clean skin.  I've tried some great products in 2011 but I am still searching for a great moisturizer. 


L-R- Ahava's Body Sorbet Caress in Mandarin Cedarwood, Boscia's Enlivening Amino Eye Treatment, Clinique's All About Eyes Serum, Elemis' Soothing Apricot Toner, Sun Labs Self Tanning Lotion and the Clarisonic Mia 2.

If you want a body lotion that absorbs quickly, is not greasy and has a great smell, then check out Ahava's Body Sorbet.  It's a great lotion and is worth every penny.  You can find it on www.amazon.com for $34 for 12.3oz.  Boscia's eye treatment has been a recent find but I am loving how it moisturizes my eye area without irritation.  It goes on smooth and is not greasy like some eye creams.  I picked up my bottle at Ulta for $38.  I couldn't leave out Clinique's All About Eyes serum.  I apply this each morning to help reduce puffiness.  It applies with a rollerball applicator and it works!  You can find it at your local Clinique counter for $26.  Elemis' Apricot toner has been a great way to soothe my skin after cleansing.  It is not irritating nor does it use alcohol like most toners which can be drying.  It smells lovely and is extremely gentle.  I recommend Elemis products because of their quality.  You can find the Soothing Apricot toner at www.timetospa.com for $33.  You can also read my thoughts on Elemis skincare here

Lastly I've enjoyed my self tanner and Clarisonic.  Sun Labs self tanning lotion is a great product!  It doesn't smell like all self tanners I've tried.  The product itself is the color of chocolate which helps you see where the product is going when you apply it.  It absorbs quickly and in no time your "tan" appears.  I find that my tan lasts 3-4 days and doesn't become spotty like some self tanners will.  You can find it at Ulta for $36.50 but I found my bottle at TJ Maxx for $16.99.  I also want to mention my Clarisonic.  It really has helped my skin become clearer, cleaner and brighter.  I use it every night with my favorite cleanser for 1 minute and my skin hasn't looked better.  It was definately an item I thought long and hard about before I purchased but I'm glad I did.  You can purchase the Clarisonic Mia 2 at www.clarisonic.com for $149.00.



Wild Card Item of 2011

There's always that one thing you bought that you thought you would probably use but you didn't realize how much you liked it (or needed it) until after you started to use it.


I didn't realize how much my luggage was in bad shape until this set arrived.  My old set had been with me during many travels and had lasted me all through college and the first 8 years of marriage.  When I saw this set on QVC, I thought I would pick it up.  It wasn't until the luggage arrived that I realized how cool it really was (and how useful).  My old set did not have spinner wheels, hard sides or handles that worked properly.  It was a boring black set that was heavy and REALLY dirty!  I have enjoyed this set and I recommend it to anyone looking for a super cute way to travel in style.  I promise you won't miss this luggage in baggage claim (that is of course if the airline doesn't lose your bags first, lol)!  I found my set at www.qvc.com  It is the Heys 3 piece Hardside Spinner Luggage set (F09494).  It sells for $186.90.








2 comments:

  1. So many great things! I love that Michael Kors purse, I'm saving to get one! :) I've also been shopping for luggage and when I saw yours I gasped because it is just perfect and fun looking! Great post, Happy New Year!
    <3Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amber! Hope you have a wonderful 2012 too!

    ReplyDelete